February 9, 2011

why I hate traveling

Today I got a vm from delta saying my flight was cancelled. They automatically rescheduled me on another flight. I'm assuming this is weather related. Which is strange because now I am on a flight that arrives exactly when the storm is supposed to hit Atlanta.

I started thinking about my travel so far this year...

Last week I got to my hotel late at night only to find that my room was 30 degrees and the heat was broken. The next night I found that my remote control was broken and I missed the first 10 minutes of Bones. Then there was a fiasco as I scrambled to get out of boston a day early before the blizzard hit. I got on an early flight, drove through a massive snow storm at 15 mph to the airport, finally got on a plane, sat on the tarmac for 2 hours before taking off. I sat in the middle seat next to a very angry man who was yelling at the flight attendant about how Delta sucks. Awkward.

The week before my flight to boston was cancelled and they rebooked me on a flight the NEXT DAY. Fortunately after several phone calls I was able to get on an early flight. Of course this meant I needed to completely rearrange my day and missed seeing my kids at all. When I arrived in boston, the Hertz computer system was down. So I waited in line for over an hour with a mob of angry people and hostile employees yelling "it's not my fault!" I realized as I drove to my hotel that my wipers were trashed and I couldn't clear my window. Too bad since it snowed the whole week. I'm sure I ran several people off the road and it is a miracle I survived.

The week before that I lost my keys somewhere between dropping my car at park-n-fly and returning back there. I dug up the tiny spare car key in my wallet (yippee) so managed to get home but had to wake everyone up to let me in to the house. Oddly I found the keys in my suitcase the next morning.

This is just the logistical part of the hassle. Then there is the stuff we have adjusted to but I am convinced makes me stressed out and worn out week after week.

The security lines, the mean and nasty TSA people, the undressing, the NO WATER rule (!), trying to fit all my liquids in 1 baggie...

The unhelpful and rude airline employees, the angry passengers, the seats that are so close together that I can't open my computer, the people yelling on their cell phones, the stinky toilets...

The road crews that close interstate exits at random and the detour signs through downtown boston that make no sense, a stupid GPS that tries to put me back on the closed exit ramp, drivers who get angry that I'm lost...

The stupid snow that has to be swept off the car, the flimsy brushes in my rental car that break if you sweep too hard...

And it is only february. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the year goes.
my rental car in the parking lot after work

No comments:

Post a Comment